Monday, May 23, 2011

What's Your Trashsure? Vintage vs Thrift

 The old saying goes..."One man's trash is another man's treasure".  Generally speaking, this old saying is true in everyday relationships, in your career and even when shopping.  Yes! Even when shopping! I know everyone is not into vintage/thrift shopping like me, but what do you think the clearance racks are at your major department stores? Well, they are indeed the fashion rejects!!! They have been repeatedly looked over, replaced by what some may consider the more fashionable items. Eventually these items are left labeled at a cheap price, hoping the shopper will pity it and take it home! lol...Okay maybe im giving clothing just a tad bit too much personality...But really...Don't we see that happen in  real life?

How many times have the "not so popular" person been looked over for love, a job or any opportunity because they weren't favored by the crowd? Or maybe because they just didnt fit in?  Or maybe some thought of them as being too old? It happens! With clothes this should never be the case! Clearance or thrift clothes save you TONS of money. Vintage and antiques clothing are old, but has increased value because of its unique design or structure.  Not to mention, you probably wont see another fashionista rocking your fit!

 I took it a little further and did research to find what the differences are between an antique, vintage or thrift find.  Thanks to wikipedia and google, I learned a few interesting things!  I also discovered that I havent got one antique item! (future goal to achieve) and I learned I have a ton of vintage items! Yay me!

What I Learned? Thrift Shopping 101 ;-)
First, any item created/manufactered/made prior to the 1920's is considered an antique. Second, a vintage piece is anything made/created in between the years of 1920 to 1980. Third, a thrift find is anything made/created after 1980, 2nd hand of course. My mother once said that "nothing stays out of fashion long".  So hang on to your treasures for a while, they may be worthy of being called an antique or vintage piece one day.

While thrifting, I am amazed at my finds! Whether a dress, purse, belt or top, I call them all my TRASHSURES! Trashsures are other people's trash that I (or you) may find treasure in!

Take a look at my latest TRASHSURE...Its a 100% Italian Leather clutch bag!  I would label this piece a vintage piece because it appears as though in was manufactered in the mid to late 70s! Well I picked it up for a whopping $2! It was regularly priced at $3.99 but because it was a yellow tag item and I was thrifting on yellow tag day, I got the bag 1/2 off! Yippie!!! I love TRASHSURE SHOPPING!!!!!

                                          $2 Clutch Bag bought @ Thrift store in Sandy Springs GA

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a New Orleans native turned Georgia Peach! With so many thrift and consignment shops in Atlanta. I decided to document my finds. As if recent, I have stumbled across a new hobby! Furniture painting! Even more than fashion, I love decorating and turning old vintage pieces into something that's uniquely trendy. I hope you enjoy my journey of creativity!